Hisar archaeological site occupies a dominant position above the city of Leskovac itself, but also a large part of the Leskovac basin. Thanks to such an advantageous strategic position, it has been inhabited since the Neolithic times. Archeological objects, as a testimony of such a long living on Hisar, were collected from the surface, or were discovered during excavation. These objects made up the first archeological collection formed in the Gymnasium within the Vulović Society, which was destroyed in the bombardment of Leskovac in 1944. Material from Hisar was also collected by Sergej Dimitrijević and donated it to the museum in 1948 during its establishment.
Cultural layers and the remains of buildings that testify to the way of life and economic activity during the Bronze and Iron Ages, as well as Roman, Byzantine and medieval periods, were discovered at the site of Hisar, too.